Re: Nominal or substantial Herbert B. Chermside 14 Jul 2000 10:01 EST

Pat, this must always be interpreted in terms of the context where it is
found.

In the context of intellectual properties and the VA law, I have not seen a
good answer for VA universities.  In the absence of any guidance, we
approached it in our Intellectual Properties Policy as follows:

"Significant use of University resources.

 What constitutes significant use of University facilities,
personnel, and resources is a question that
 must be answered on the basis of the facts and circumstances of
each case. A University-wide
 formula to define "significant use" is inappropriate because of the
different needs among various
 disciplines. Normal usage of library resources, secretarial help,
word processing equipment, or other
 support services do not constitute a significant use. If a question
arises, the creator should seek a
 written opinion from the department chair or program head, and if
there is a disagreement, may
 appeal to the Chief Research Officer or his/her designer."

I have heard suggestions that 5% of the total be the measure of
"substantial" as far as invoking the requirement for gubernatorial approval
for transferring title to inventions, but never any documentation.

In other contexts, there are other guides.  For example the old A-110
required sponsor approval of "significant" reductions of PI effort; the new
A-110 re-expressed it as "25% reduction".

Auditors and their prey are always in conflict about the application of
such imprecise terms -- one reason A-110 was changed!

Good luck!  For that matter, assembling and discussing all the answers you
get might make a very interesting paper!.

Chuck

At 04:59 PM 7/13/00 -0400, you wrote:
>If anyone has a definition for Nominal use of
>University resources versus substantial use of University
>resources, I would appreciate your sharing with me @
>xxxxxx@jmu.edu.
>
>                         Thank you,
>

>--