Re: NSF Grants and Home Offices Herbert B. Chermside 13 Jul 2000 09:26 EST

Computer use at home:
Many productive researchers, and even stogy old administrators like myself,
use laptops that travel with them all over the place.  In fact, mine
"lives" at home rather than in the office because it is MUCH safer
there.  (Things in offices have a tendency to grow legs and walk off!)

You need an institutional policy on use of, and security responsibilities
toward, institutionally owned computers.  Suggest you emphasize laptops,
without excluding desktop systems, simply because portability makes a
better justification than using university funds to create a duplicate
system at home.  (My own home desktop computer, at my expense except for
specialized programs, mirrors my one at work; that's for convenience of
knowing only one set of quirks!)

Also check with Personnel and/or IT about "telecommuting" policies which
may already be in place.

If policies are in place, the budgetary questions will be much more easily
solved.

Chuck

At 11:50 PM 7/12/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello All:
>
>Two questions have come up recently.  (1)  a faculty member is getting 2
>months of summer pay from an NSF grant.  He wants to give up (1) month
>of summer salary to purchase a new computer for his grant.  Is this
>permitted without prior approval from NSF?  Is it appropriate to
>purchase a computer after an award has been made?  I believe a concern
>arose regarding the purchase of the computer and if it would be used
>exclusively for the grant.
>
>The other question involves the purchase of computer equipment from a
>grant and the location of the computer.  A few faculty who do
>theoretical research, indicate they work at home - in what they call a
>home office.  Are there any rules against using grant purchased
>equipment in a home office?   Has there been any discussions at COGR
>meetings or elsewhere recently regarding home office use?   I suppose
>this brings up another question of the use of off campus F & A rates.
>If a faculty member indicates he/she will be doing research off campus
>does that include use of a home office?.   (As one theoretical
>researcher pointed out, inspirational thoughts can come at any time and
>at any place).  We have always taken the approach in using off campus
>rates that 50% or more of the work being done would be at  other
>institutions, companies or in the field.  However, with the use of
>email, computers and various high speed access lines and equipment - off
>campus can be anywhere.   Where and how do you draw the line?
>
>Has anyone been involved with these issues lately?  What have you done?
>
>Regards,
>   Eleanor Cicinsky
>   Temple University, OVP-Research

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA