Re: How Do You Handle Residual Funds? Herbert B. Chermside 11 Jul 2000 07:15 EST

At Virginia Commonwealth University, we treat any residuals in fixed price
(or fixed unit price) agreements (not restricted to industry for-profit
sponsors, but almost all are) the same.  The balance is divided between
direct costs, transferred to a "pool" account for the investigator, and
F&A, collected and distributed as if earned by the original agreement.  The
investigator may use the funds for any research or educational purpose; in
practice most use it in support of their research programs.

Chuck

At 03:45 PM 7/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I would be interested in knowing how those of you involved in the
>management of industry-sponsored clinical trials handle any funds
>remaining AFTER all of the work is completed, i.e., after the company has
>accepted all deliverables required in the contract, and all of the bills
>are paid.   Do you leave the residual funds in the same account that was
>established to support the work of the clinical trial, or move them to
>another account?  Do you place restrictions on the use of the residual
>funds?  At the end of the trial, do you consider any residual funds to be
>completely dissociated from the original contract and thus available for
>expenditure for any research-related activity, assuming that no contract
>clauses survive the contract which might obviate this option?  What if
>your investigator wanted to utilize residual funds to finance a
>collaborative research agreement with another entity for basic research,
>would you be comfortable with it?
>

>Doug Wilkerson, Ph.D.              Phone:   (419) 383-4252
>Assoc. V.P. For Research          Fax:   (419) 383-4252
>Professor of Pharmacology         E-mail:   xxxxxx@mco.edu
>Research & Grants Admin.          Web: www.mco.edu/research
>Block Health Sci. Bldg., Rm. 148
>3035 Arlington Ave.