Re: Congratulatory Award Letter? Farnsworth, Franci 06 Jul 2000 12:03 EST

I send a CONGRATULATIONS!!!  email as soon as I hear of any faculty grant.
Once the award is official, I write a 4-6 line announcement that I submit to
the faculty/staff newsletter and I send it by email to senior administrators
(AND their support person), public affairs, development, and to the PI's
department chair and coordinator (with cc to the PI).   These announcements
are designed to be understood by any faculty or staff member -- I usually
get faculty member approval first and often need their assistance to
translate highly theoretical topics into something understandable.   As
noted by others, my email announcement often  precipitates congratulatory
notes by administrators and ensures that something is put in the faculty
member's file.

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE