Errant E-mails on RESADM-L Rusty Okoniewski 27 Jun 2000 09:17 EST

Dear List Members,
 I believe we all received 45-50 errant E-mails yesterday on RESADM-L.  If
you looked at the first 3 or 4 that you received, you could easily determine
that the "Vacation Notification" feature was obviously sending notices on
all old E-mails.  At that point it was easy to decide that these notices
could simply be deleted.

If you read the mails from the Listserv manager and later from the person
whose system was malfunctioning, you could see that reasonable efforts were
being made to correct the situation.

I find it difficult to believe that it took one person two hours ("half my
afternoon") to delete no more than 50 items.  Clearly, the problem was being
resloved and deleting unwanted items is not normally such a big task that it
is cause for concern.

I think that we would each want to be accommodated by our fellow Listservers
if the situation was happening to us.  Machines like people sometimes head
in directions we never intended.  This is one situation where I believe a
bit of patience, a couple of minutes use of the delete key, and some
forebearance would have addressed the problem nicely.
Sincerely,
Rusty Okoniewski, Interim Director
IFAS Sponsored Programs
University of Florida