Re: VHS charging Quinn, Bradley L 22 Jun 2000 13:47 EST
Right now we charge it when we have to (e.g., level of effort, productive
labor contract).  We have developed a new system for charging compensated
absences for "soft-money" employees but haven't turned it on yet.  Check CAS
408 if you want a detailed description of compensated absences and how to
handle the accounting.

The attached presentation addressing some of the issues.  It isn't that good
but it can start some conversations.  Here it is:

-----Original Message-----
From: Anita Quinn [mailto:xxxxxx@MTU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 12:07 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: VHS charging

I have been involved in many discussions lately related to vacation,
holiday, and sick time charging on sponsored accounts.

I am curious as to how other universities either charge or subsidize for
vacation, holiday, and sick time related to research support staff.

do you charge it as a fringe rate in grant/contract accounts?  if so what
is the rate?

or

do you charge it directly to the grant/contract account?

or

do you charge it to another university account? this could be considered
subsidizing the grant/contract in which this time was accued over.

Any input would be appreciated....

Thanks
Anita Quinn
Director of Research Services