Re: NSF & Academic Year Support on Research Grants Hawk, Pat 21 Jun 2000 10:13 EST

Tom, I think your statement that "NSF will not support AY salary" is a
little strong.  I'm gonna play devil's advocate and quote the sentence right
before your quote from the GPG:  "As a general policy, NSF recognizes that
salaries of facuty members and other personnel associated directly with the
project constitute appropriate direct costs and may be requested in
proportion to the effort devoted to the project."  The words "normally" and
"generally" tell me that not only does one have to look at a project on a
case-by-case basis, the university's policies on "academic year research"
has to also be factored into the decision.  The GPG goes on to say you can't
use grant funds to "augment the total salary", but I see no reason why
academic year salaries can't be included in an NSF project.  I try to think
about it in terms of what does a PI need in order to complete the project,
and if that's AY effort for which salary is charged, well then that's what
it takes.

Okay, now I'm ready for everyone to disagree with me.

Patricia A. Hawk
Sponsored Projects Administrator
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-5219