Re: REU John D. Pepe 15 Jun 2000 12:05 EST

REU students at the Stroud Water Research Center are paid as temporary
employees with the appropriate payroll taxes withheld.  On REU awarded
budgets here, the fringe benefit component reflects a lower rate on paid
salaries to recover only employer related FICA costs and workers
compensation.

John D. Pepe
Controller
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road
Avondale, PA 19311-9514

VOICE: (610) 268-2153, ext. 253 FAX: (610) 268-0490 E-MAIL:
xxxxxx@stroudcenter.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org]On Behalf Of
Carol Forbes
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 12:32 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: REU

We have a summer REU.  Our PI and business office are having a "discussion"
about whether we can provide students with a stipend for their
participation in the REU or whether they must be paid as employees with
FICA and taxes withheld.  Can any one help us?  I believe that we can
provide stipends with information to students regarding tax implications.

Thanks.

Carol

Carol M. Forbes
Director of Sponsored Programs