Re: REU Marie Smith 15 Jun 2000 11:54 EST

Under REU awards, REU can receive participant stipends.  This is our eighth
year of receiving an REU award.

Marie F. Smith
Manager of Grants Administration
Institution of Ecosystem Studies
PO Box AB, Route 44A
Millbrook, NY 12545
(845) 677-5343 (phone)
(845) 677-7508 (direct)
(845) 677 5976 (fax)
xxxxxx@ecostudies.org

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have
to catch it yourself."

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Forbes [mailto:xxxxxx@AUGSBURG.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 12:32 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: REU

We have a summer REU.  Our PI and business office are having a "discussion"
about whether we can provide students with a stipend for their
participation in the REU or whether they must be paid as employees with
FICA and taxes withheld.  Can any one help us?  I believe that we can
provide stipends with information to students regarding tax implications.

Thanks.

Carol

Carol M. Forbes
Director of Sponsored Programs