Re: REU Vincelli, Diana 15 Jun 2000 11:41 EST

Carol-
We always pay students as employees and withold the minimum tax,FICA -
fringe benefits that we asked for on the REU application.
Diana Thompson Vincelli
Associate Director
Office of Foundation & Government Grants
Room G-14, Maryland Hall
University of Richmond, VA  23173
804/289-8005, 804/287-6491 fax
xxxxxx@richmond.edu
www.richmond.edu/~grants

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Forbes [mailto:xxxxxx@AUGSBURG.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 12:32 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: REU

We have a summer REU.  Our PI and business office are having a "discussion"
about whether we can provide students with a stipend for their
participation in the REU or whether they must be paid as employees with
FICA and taxes withheld.  Can any one help us?  I believe that we can
provide stipends with information to students regarding tax implications.

Thanks.

Carol

Carol M. Forbes
Director of Sponsored Programs