Re: Rural or urban Charlie Hathaway 13 Jun 2000 11:29 EST

Medicare, Medicaid, and State Children's Health Insurance Program Balanced Budget Refinement Act of 1999 (Public Law 106-113)

Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs), Primary MSAs (PMSAs), and New England County Metropolitan Areas (NECMAs) issued by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The OMB also designates Consolidated MSAs (CMSAs). A CMSA is a metropolitan area with a population of one million or more, comprising two or more PMSAs (identified by their separate economic and social character).... If a metropolitan area is not designated as part of a PMSA, use the applicable MSA.

Rural areas are areas outside a designated MSA, PMSA, or NECMA.

Effective April 1, 1990, the term Metropolitan Area (MA) replaced the term MSA (which had been used since June 30, 1983) to describe the set of metropolitan areas consisting of MSAs, PMSAs, and CMSAs. The terminology was changed by OMB in the March 30, 1990 Federal Register to distinguish between the individual metropolitan areas known as MSAs and the set of all metropolitan areas (MSAs, PMSAs, and CMSAs) (55 FR 12154).

Section 1886(d)(2)(D) of the Act defines ``urban area'' as those areas within a Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). A ``large urban area'' is defined as an urban area with a population of more than 1 million.