Re: Subrecipient Clauses - Watch Out For Government-Furnished Equ ipment! Frye, Todd 09 Jun 2000 14:11 EST

I agree with Bob and Lee's point completely.  In fact, this is just one
peril in the what I have heard called the "white out" approach to
subcontracting, which describes the swapping of "Government" for "Prime",
etc.  These dangers are most prevalent in procurement contracting, vs.
assistance.  Simply put, the best purchasing systems and subcontracts do not
do it.  Some of the clauses in a prime procurement contract to an
educational simply do not apply to many other types of organizations, while
others do, etc.

Also, there is the issue of some prime clauses being triggered or included
due to the total dollar value of the Prime award, and would not apply to
subs working on contracts for less than that amount, (e.g., $100K and $500K
are big "kick in" thresholds where more clauses get added)

Third, there is the question of contract type.  The prime may be a cost-type
contract, which, by design, is set up to share more of the risk between the
two parties (Prime and Government), whereas, depending on what is being
procurred, the subcontract may be a cost plus fixed fee, or even a Fixed
price contract, which would necessitate virtually an entirely new
boilerplate approach.

That's it today.  After all, it's Friday!!

Todd

ONR CHICAGO
312 886-5423, ext. 237
xxxxxx@onr.navy.mil