Re: Vacation Time Accounting for Soft-Money Employees McCabe, Jeanne 02 Jun 2000 15:35 EST

The University of Iowa went to a pool method three years ago.  There is
quite a bit of information on our web site about the logic, etc.
http://www.uiowa.edu/~fusas//fringe.htm
<http://www.uiowa.edu/~fusas//fringe.htm>

The fringe pool takes care of pay out problems and it has also simplified
benefit accounting from a departmental budgeting standpoint.

Jeanne McCabe
Research Administrator
College of Medicine
University of Iowa

 -----Original Message-----
 From:   Joe Titone [SMTP:xxxxxx@RCF-FS.USC.EDU]
 Sent:   Friday, June 02, 2000 1:12 PM
 To:     xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
 Subject:        Re: Vacation Time Accounting for Soft-Money
Employees

 I don't have access at the current time to the written policy, but
when I
 worked at the USC School of Medicine, it was the responsibility of
the
 research administrator to ensure that the situation described never
 happened.  The administrator had to be cognizant of the research end
date
 and how much accrued time was owed to each employee.  If employees
were to
 be laid off, they had to be laid off enough in advance of the
research end
 date to allow them to be paid from research funds for their accrued
time.

 If this didn't happen, the department or division had to bear the
cost and
 not anyone at a higher level.

 At 07:45 Am 6/2/2000 -0400, you wrote:
 >We are tryting to come up with a policy on paying and accounting
for
 >vacation time accrued by employees whose appointments are
completely
 >dependent on sponsored funding. The problem arose some time ago
when a
 >particular one year grant ended and three indivduals' appointments
ended
 >with it. They had not taken any vacation time during the course of
the
 >one year grant and were, understandably, looking to get paid for
those
 >days upon their departure. The department chair, dean, and academic
vp
 >then went scrambling because they didn't have any money readily
 >available to deal with this. If you have a policy or guidelines
that
 >address this issue, could you fax me a copy to the number below
Thanks.

 >Steve
 >
 >--
 >Stephen Erickson, Director