Re: Vacation Time Accounting for Soft-Money Employees Claire L. Carlson 02 Jun 2000 09:12 EST

Steve,

The University of Montana has a policy that covers sick and annual leave
for grant-funded employees.  Basically, we developed a sick and annual
leave assessment which is included in the fringe benefits charged against
all grants.  When grant-funded employees take sick or annual leave, the
salary for the leave is charged to the pool, and not to the grant.  Sick
and annual leave pay-offs for grant-funded employees are also done from the
pool.  I'll fax you the policy.

Claire

At 07:45 AM 06/02/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>We are tryting to come up with a policy on paying and accounting for
>vacation time accrued by employees whose appointments are completely
>dependent on sponsored funding. The problem arose some time ago when a
>particular one year grant ended and three indivduals' appointments ended
>with it. They had not taken any vacation time during the course of the
>one year grant and were, understandably, looking to get paid for those
>days upon their departure. The department chair, dean, and academic vp
>then went scrambling because they didn't have any money readily
>available to deal with this. If you have a policy or guidelines that
>address this issue, could you fax me a copy to the number below Thanks.
>
>Steve
>
>--
>Stephen Erickson, Director
>Office of Research Administration