Re: Vacation Time Accounting for Soft-Money Employees Barbara Gray 02 Jun 2000 08:09 EST

Steve,
We got caught short in a similar situation at my previous institution so
this was one of the things I dealt with early on here at CofC.  We don't
have a written policy per se, but people being funded on grants are not
permitted to transfer in unused annual leave from other state agencies.  At
hire, the sign a paper that indicates that they may not be compensated for
any unused annual leave at their termination from the college or at the
termination of the grant.  HR makes sure that all this is communicated.
(Note that SC considers these grant-funded employees as a different category
than full-time state-appropriations funded employees; they also have no
grievance rights.)  Sometimes the grants do pay the unused annual leave if
someone leaves in the middle of the project, but that is determined by the
availability of funding.  Also, we make the PI get approval of the funding
agency to do this.  Since we started this policy, we have had no problems.
BG

Stephen Erickson wrote:

> We are tryting to come up with a policy on paying and accounting for
> vacation time accrued by employees whose appointments are completely
> dependent on sponsored funding. The problem arose some time ago when a
> particular one year grant ended and three indivduals' appointments ended
> with it. They had not taken any vacation time during the course of the
> one year grant and were, understandably, looking to get paid for those
> days upon their departure. The department chair, dean, and academic vp
> then went scrambling because they didn't have any money readily
> available to deal with this. If you have a policy or guidelines that
> address this issue, could you fax me a copy to the number below Thanks.
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Stephen Erickson, Director
> Office of Research Administration