Re: Macs AND PC's Evelyn J. Ford 11 May 2000 13:04 EST

Thank you, Dr. Gabriele, for your thoughtful and thorough comments.  I
couldn't agree more that there shouldn't be any difficulties.  My
experience in the recent past is that they usually occur because (1) one
user in the equation doesn't understand how to effectively
transfer/share/translate, or (2) central IT offices choose to enforce a
standard, sometimes for what seem to be good reasons to them, but in effect
appear arbitrary to the endusers.  I'm sure those out there who are
battling the cross platform issue would appreciate any analyses you could
share with the group (or perhaps they can communicate with you directly).
I know that networking is not as big a problem as some represent it to be,
but I am not a networking hardware/software expert.

At the recent SRA Northeast meeting I heard that some Mac users were
confined to their own LANs (or none at all), that they were not getting
support in trying to set up servers for both platforms so they could
communicate with PC-using colleages, or simply had their Macs taken away
and replaced by PCs.  (No PC user told me that his/her PC had been taken
away for a Mac.)  These are not new complaints, despite the era of
web-based communicatons and applications.  Here at Penn we have support for
both platforms.

I also met with one person who agrees with your assessment of Access and
uses FileMaker Pro (amongst other programs) for high-end database tasks.

-- Evelyn Ford
Evelyn J. Ford, Manager, Accounting Operations
Office of Research Support Services
School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
270 Anatomy-Chemistry Building
36th Street and Hamilton Walk
Philadelphia PA 19104-6061
fax 215.573.8802           voice 215.573.1395
xxxxxx@mail.med.upenn.edu