Re: Macs and PCs; WP vs. MS-Word Mike Varney [List Owner] 16 May 2000 11:28 EST

Mary Ann -

 You need to send these commands to xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG

-- Mike

Mary Ann Holmquist <xxxxxx@SUMMON.SYR.EDU> on 05/09/2000 09:54:16 AM

Please respond to Research Administration Discussion List
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>

To:   xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
cc:    (bcc: Mike L. Varney/HRI/DOH)

Subject:  Re: Macs and PCs;  WP vs. MS-Word

SET listname NOMAIL

"Wilma G. Ennenga" wrote:

> The reveal codes feature exists solely in WordPerfect documents. In
> MS-Word, the closest approximation is the unfortunate paragraph format
> feature. When multiple authors have contributed to a Word document, the
> best (and only) way I know to clean up the document "perfectly" is to
strip
> all commands by copying the document and then using the paste-special
> (unformatted text) command to paste the text into a new document. You can
> then reformat the document to the desired style. If you instead force the
> style onto various sections of the document, you may find yourself
> confronted with wildly different styles if you make any subsequent
> modifications to the paragraph/section.
>
> In a similar situation with a WordPerfect document, you can see the
> skeletal structure of the document with the reveal codes feature and
delete
> the unwanted formatting commands.
>
> At 12:57 PM 5/4/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> >How do I find this similar feature that exists on MS-Word?  I do hope
you
> >are referring to something other than the paragraph icon.  I've been
> >working with Word for years, but still miss "reveal codes" of WP and
> >haven't figured out how to look for that info.  Janet
> >
> >In asking
> > >around my area, I have sensed that the reason most who prefer WP do so
> > >because they like the patented "reveal codes" feature of that product.
> > >(MS-word does have a similar feature albeit perhaps not as
comprehensive or
> > >well known.)
> > >Rusty Okoniewski

****
> >Janet M. Hahn, C.R.A.                           xxxxxx@runet.edu
> >Executive Director, Sponsored Programs          phone: 540-831-5479
> >Radford University                              fax: 540-831-6636
> >Radford, VA
> >24142-6926                          http://www.runet.edu/~sponsrpr/

> Wilma G. (Winnie) Ennenga
> Senior Grant and Contract Administrator
>
> Office of Grant and Contract Services
> Northern Arizona University
> Babbitt Administrative Center, Room 100E
> Knoles Drive, Building 51
> Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4130
>
> Tele. (520) 523-8319
> FAX   (520) 523-1075