Re: WP vs MS-Word Domenica G. Pappas 05 May 2000 23:46 EST

At 12:22 PM 05/05/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I've used MS-Word since v1.0 (original text version with a simulated
>graphics mode that even then displayed bold, italics, superscripts, etc).
>Indeed, reveal codes is the most frequently cited reason people prefer
>WordPerfect. But, since migration to graphical (as opposed to
>character-based) displays, both display the text as it will appear printed
>on the page. Thus, there is no real need for the reveal code function in
>order to know the characteristics of a word or paragraph. But you can
>approximate the reveal code function in Word by doing the following:
>
>1.      From the Help menu, click on "What's this?"  (this is a toggle, on
>or off); keyboard shortuct is shift-F1.
>2.      Click on any text and the codes for the text and the paragraph will
>be revealed.
>
>I think preference for one over the other bottom lines at familiarity.
>WordPerfect was originally conceived from the perspective of the typed
>page/document whereas Word was originally conceived from the perspective of
>typesetting, a fundamental difference in approach.
>
>Bill Caskey, PhD
>Director, Research & Grants Administration
>Children's Mercy Hospital
>2401 Gillham Road
>Kansas City, MO  64108
>
>Voice:(816) 234-3879
>FAX:(816) 855-1982
>E-mail:  xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>
>

>This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It
>may contain information which is privileged or confidential under
>applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient or the agent of
>the recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or
>disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
>received this communication in error, please immediately notify The
>Children's Mercy Hospital at 816-234-3879 or via return Internet
>electronic mail at xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>  and expunge
>this communication without making any copies.  Thank you for your
>cooperation.

I will be out of the office on Monday, May 8th and Tuesday, May 9th.

If you need assistance, please contact Ms. Janice Haney at (312)  567-3035.

Thank you.

Domenica G. Pappas                              Phone 312-567-3035
Assistant Director                              Fax 312-567-6980
Office of Sponsored Research            xxxxxx@iit.edu
Illinois Institute of Technology
3300 S. Federal Street,  MB Rm 301
Chicago, IL 60616-3793