Re: Macs and PCs; Word and WP Domenica G. Pappas 05 May 2000 23:16 EST

At 12:53 PM 05/04/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>We provide support to about 1100 staff. Most use PCs but a small number
>(about 70) use Macs and a smaller number use SGI or Sun workstations. We
>have found the support of both PC and Mac platforms to be relatively easy,
>although we would certainly not have designed the organization this way. We
>outsource much of the support. In a smaller organization this might not be
>so easy; we've found very few techs who are really qualified to work both
>on PCs and Macs. But if you can support both, sharing files is trivial.
>Most servers today will provide both PC and mac file system support.
>
> >  In asking around my area, I have sensed that the reason most who prefer
>WP do so
> >because they like the patented "reveal codes" feature of that product.
> >(MS-word does have a similar feature albeit perhaps not as comprehensive
>or
> >well known.)
>
>That does seem to be the favorite WP feature, and the Word equivalent is
>very poor in comparison. Around here, those who want to keep WP cite this
>feature and their knowledge base as reasons to keep it.  Word, OTHO, is the
>de facto worldwide standard and its very easy to hire people who already
>know something about the suite (end users and techs). Sometimes a monopoly
>is a good thing (I can't believe I just said that....) and we have
>standardized on the suite.

I will be out of the office on Monday, May 8th and Tuesday, May 9th.

If you need assistance, please contact Ms. Janice Haney at (312)  567-3035.

Thank you.

Domenica G. Pappas                              Phone 312-567-3035
Assistant Director                              Fax 312-567-6980
Office of Sponsored Research            xxxxxx@iit.edu
Illinois Institute of Technology
3300 S. Federal Street,  MB Rm 301
Chicago, IL 60616-3793