Re: Macs and PCs; WP vs. MS-Word Wilma G. Ennenga 04 May 2000 13:25 EST

The reveal codes feature exists solely in WordPerfect documents. In
MS-Word, the closest approximation is the unfortunate paragraph format
feature. When multiple authors have contributed to a Word document, the
best (and only) way I know to clean up the document "perfectly" is to strip
all commands by copying the document and then using the paste-special
(unformatted text) command to paste the text into a new document. You can
then reformat the document to the desired style. If you instead force the
style onto various sections of the document, you may find yourself
confronted with wildly different styles if you make any subsequent
modifications to the paragraph/section.

In a similar situation with a WordPerfect document, you can see the
skeletal structure of the document with the reveal codes feature and delete
the unwanted formatting commands.

At 12:57 PM 5/4/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>How do I find this similar feature that exists on MS-Word?  I do hope you
>are referring to something other than the paragraph icon.  I've been
>working with Word for years, but still miss "reveal codes" of WP and
>haven't figured out how to look for that info.  Janet
>
>In asking
> >around my area, I have sensed that the reason most who prefer WP do so
> >because they like the patented "reveal codes" feature of that product.
> >(MS-word does have a similar feature albeit perhaps not as comprehensive or
> >well known.)
> >Rusty Okoniewski
>Janet M. Hahn, C.R.A.                           xxxxxx@runet.edu
>Executive Director, Sponsored Programs          phone: 540-831-5479
>Radford University                              fax: 540-831-6636
>Radford, VA
>24142-6926                          http://www.runet.edu/~sponsrpr/

Wilma G. (Winnie) Ennenga
Senior Grant and Contract Administrator

Office of Grant and Contract Services
Northern Arizona University
Babbitt Administrative Center, Room 100E
Knoles Drive, Building 51
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4130

Tele. (520) 523-8319
FAX   (520) 523-1075