Re: Faculty replacement Janet M. Hahn 03 May 2000 16:06 EST

I hope more continue this conversation.  We are currently setting up a R&D
institute  within the university and have not found lots of specificity
when we have asked other institutions.  Policies and procedures used by
others in the evaluation for promotion, tenure, merit raises would be
especially useful.  What alternative procedures to you have in the
evaluation of faculty for time spent out of the traditional teaching
faculty role, especially if the other duties are more outreach than
research or normal university teaching.

Radford University, a state university of 8,500 students in Virginia has a
teaching load of 12 credit hours (a few departments have less).  The policy
is that it is up to the chair, dean, and vp for academic affairs to approve
requests for any amount of reassigned time.  Sometimes thare are objections
about the amount of proposed time.

Departments typically buy adjunct replacements, although sometimes several
reassigned classes are pieced together into a full time position for 1-3
year appointments.  More than the standard credit hours of teaching are
expected of those who are 1-year temporary without the usual accompanying
duties.
Janet

At 02:44 PM 5/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Laura, at University of Wisconsin-River Falls (a primarily undergraduate
institution of fewer than 6,000 students, standard teaching load 12 hours
per semester), we have no blanket policy--it's up to the dept chair, dean
and/or provost.  A dean recently refused to allow a faculty member to buy
out all of her teaching time through grants (she had several).  That's an
unusual circumstance for us; typically, grant recipients will buy out one
course, occasionally two.

>Replacements are almost always adjuncts, what we call in Wisconsin
academic staff (teaching), who have no responsibilities outside the
classroom.  But once again, there is no blanket policy.