Re: VA/University Faculty Hastings, Kari L 02 May 2000 07:15 EST

 If you look at page 12 of the current PHS 398 instructions, on
the top of the right hand column, there is a section entitled "Special
instructions for individuals with joint University and Dept of Veterans
Affairs Appointments". What you can and can't do is pretty precisely spelled
out.
 Yes, it is permitted for individuals with 8/8ths VA appointment
to have additional University appointments for which they can be
compensated. You should make sure that you have a memorandum of
understanding for each such individual beforehand. Greater than 20/wk
additional paid hours above the 8/8ths (which is equal to 40 hours a week)
would be viewed as excessive and questioned pretty closely.
 If you have more questions, please e-mail me or call
(617-573-2365). I was in the VA and participated in the development of the
PHS 398 policy.   Kari Hastings

 ----------
 From:  Deborah Davis [SMTP:xxxxxx@POP.UKY.EDU]
 Sent:  Tuesday, May 02, 2000 7:33 AM
 To:  xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
 Subject:  Fwd: VA/University Faculty

 Our institution has a close affiliation with a VA Medical Center.
Many
 faculty have joint VA/University appointments and they may charge
the
 university portion of their effort to grants.  There are about 30
 individuals with university appointments who have an 8/8s (full
time) VA
 assignment.  I would like to hear from those of you with similar
situations:
 do you allow people with 8/8s commitments to VA to charge their
university
 effort to grants?

 Either reply to the listserv or directly to me.

 Thanks,
 Debbie

 Deborah K. Davis
 Director, Office of Sponsored Projects Administration
 University of Kentucky
 214 Kinkead Hall
 Lexington, KY  40506-0057
 xxxxxx@pop.uky.edu