Re: WP Fonts, PDF Conversions Stanley Geidel 26 Apr 2000 09:23 EST

Regarding WP font embedding in PDFs:

Yes, Word Perfect does have a new font set available which apparently will resolve the problem of embedding these fonts when using Acrobat 4.  However, the most elegant solution is to simply use Acrobat 3 to create your documents when there is a concern about the ability to embed copyrighted fonts.

Acrobat 3 does not check for the copyright bit, and therefore will translate the WP font set perfectly into PDFs, regardless of whether or not the fonts are copyrighted.  One additional benefit of using version 3, of course, is that you can send PDFs created in Acrobat 3 directly to NSF without any concern for compatibility - no need to use the FastLane.joboptions profile, etc.  We've installed an old copy of Acrobat 3 on one of our machines here in our Research Office for just this purpose.

Good luck!
Stan Geidel
Systems Coordinator
Ball State University

>>> xxxxxx@HOTMAIL.COM 04/26/00 08:58AM >>>
>From: Mike Ludwick <xxxxxx@WM.EDU>
>Subject: WP Fonts, PDF Conversions
>
>As many of you know NSF has warned us about using Word
>Perfect symbol fonts in proposals because Acrobat often will not
>convert them to PDF.  However, it seems that Corel has updated
>its fonts to allow Adobe Acrobat Distiller version 4.XX to embed
>these fonts into Portable Document Files (PDF's).

****
Font compatibility seems crucial in order to correctly generate PDF's.

Has anyone seen a resource for fonts that "guarantee" compatibility with
Acrobat?   I'm not just referring to sticking with 'Times New Roman', but
also variables like Postscript vs. TrueType, what -version- of a font is
best, and is the same font available across platforms?

It would be nice to have a handful of fonts that we could confidently use in
our office, and recommend to our PI's, which would consistantly translate
into quality PDF's.

--
Thanks for your time,
Rich Magyar