Re: subcontracting with a Federal Agency Herbert B. Chermside 25 Apr 2000 08:57 EST

I also am having problems with getting federal funds (NASA) through the
University, to a federal lab/research unit (DOD/Navy).  They essentially
rejected our usual terms and conditions with flowdown of federal
requirements; they tried to insist we indemnify them (as a state agency we
are not allowed to do so), and most recently they have sent us a CRADA as a
model agreement (which I haven't had time to deal with)>

Anyone out there with any positive experiences?  Successes?  Even clues for
the clueless?

Chuck

At 09:55 AM 4/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello:
>I am seeking input from anyone having experience establishing a subcontract
>agreement with a Federal agency.  Our institution has received a grant (a
>Standard Grant) from USDA CSREES subject to 7 CFR Part 3015, 3017, 3018,
>and 3019.  The budget in the approved application included dollars to
>subcontract for part of the work to be done by USGS.  The subcontract
>agreement I originally prepared and sent to USGS included the terms and
>conditions from the prime grant.  USGS wants us to remove the Terms and
>Conditions and does not want to sign the Debarment, Suspension,
>ineligibility Exclusion for Lower tier transactions.  They have provided a
>draft of an agreement that leaves out any reference to the prime sponsor.
>I found in 7 CFR 3015 (3015.2 specifically) that the the prime award's
>provisions do not automatically apply to subgrants with recipents that are
>"agencies or instrumentalities of the Federal government..."
>Does this mean that the terms and conditions USDA has applied to us do not
>have to passed down to USGS as subgrantee?
>If not, what, if any, terms and conditions do I need to make a part of the
>agreement?
>
>Any experience, advice, opinions, examples would be greatly appreciated.
>Please respond directly to:
>xxxxxx@zoo.uvm.edu.
>Thank You!
>Sarah Cooley
>Sarah Cooley
>Sponsored Programs Administrator
>The University of Vermont and State Agricultural College
>340 Waterman Building
>Burlington, VT 05405-0160
>Phone: (802) 656-3360
>FAX: (802) 656-1326