Re: Question related to charge of an operations fee plus regularoverhead for a non-federal award Gregory K. Schmidt 10 Apr 2000 09:01 EST

Rochelle:

I didn't know anyone still used S&W as their base.

There are several issues you address here.  Your first is whether you should
even accept the award.  What is to gain if you win the award, but bankrupt
the unit as a result?

Your other issues concern tinkering with the base by either direct charging
those items, or creating a use charge in addition to the F&A recovery.  By
charging indirect costs as direct, you change the basis upon which your F&A
rate is determined.  This will have adverse effects on your current, as well
as future rates.  You may also be required to repay the fed and other
sponsors some F&A costs previously recovered now that the basis has changed.

Would you run afoul of A21?  Not necessarily.  CAS?  Instantly.  CAS crosses
all aspects of the institution.  With CAS, the charges you make to the Fed
must be consistent with those of other users.  You cannot treat anyone
differently.  (Yes, I'm aware CAS is in A-21.  I think her point concerns
the other sections of A21 since she separated A21 and CAS in her question).

Creating a use charge is a viable option into which F&A for the unit is
included.  However, to maintain consistent cost treatment, you would have to
use the resulting rate for all users of the services you provide.  This
would move the agreement with the state from a cost reimbursement to a unit
cost contract.  It would also eliminate the rate problem you cited, and your
dependence upon full F&A recoveries for funding operations.  The downside is
you need to recover all your costs through the use charge.

If it were my decision, I'd develop a cost center if it's appropriate.  I
think I'd probably forgo signing this agreement in the interim, based upon
the info provided.

Good luck!

--
Gregory K. Schmidt
Assistant Controller

850.561.2956 voice
850.561.2461 fax

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the
world to himself.  Therefore, all progress depends
on the unreasonable man."

 George Bernard Shaw