Re: Adobe 4.0 question Linda Campbell 06 Apr 2000 14:04 EST

We recently purchased Acrobat 4.0 educational licenses @ $44.00 per license.  The minimum purchase is 10 licenses and they must be purchased in quantities of 10.

Linda

Linda Campbell
Director of Sponsored Projects
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA  95053-0250
phone: 408-554-4408
fax: 408-554-2389
email: xxxxxx@scu.edu

>>> xxxxxx@COFC.EDU 04/06/00 11:14AM >>>
From the information that I'm familiar with, Adobe doesn't offer a site license
but prices their software per node (computer).  I've tried to get different
packages of licensing from them in the past and it was to no avail.  However,
the upgrade from Adobe 3 only cost about $90-$100 per machine (Compusult).  One
solution would be to install the purchased Acrobat 4 program on a "central" PC
and the free Reader on all of the others in your office.  That way, every one
can view/fill-out/print/save PDF files for free.  The Acrobat 4 PC application
would only have to be accessed to create new PDF files.

To address choices 1 and 2 of your message:
Acrobat Reader 4 will save the "completed" forms with the user data.  Many
people have not upgraded their versions of the FREE Adobe Reader from v3 to
v4?.  The v4 adds the capabilities to save PDF files that are being viewed
and/or completed (even in the web browser plugin).  If they are iPDF files, the
typed information is saved in the PDF output file.  (You must use the SAVE
button on the Acrobat Reader toolbar.)

We do create PDFs for many of our researchers to assist them in submissions.  It
is hard to require a faculty member to purchase a piece of software that they
may only use once or twice a year.  One solution is to have them email
(attachment) the DOC to you, do the conversion, and return the PDF to them
(attachment).  This has not proven too disruptive - those who use Acrobat more
frequently don't seem to mind the purchase.

I hope that this info helps.  Rosemary Ruff <xxxxxx@auburn.edu>  works with
PDFs frequently and could probably provide more information than I have here.

Dave

--
[:)] Dave

David S. Battey
Information & Technology Coordinator
Office of Research and Grants Administration
College of Charleston, Charleston, SC, 29424
Voice: (843)953-5673      Fax: (843)953-6577
Internet:  http://www.orga.cofc.edu/
E-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu