Re: Definition of Research Rusty Okoniewski 31 Mar 2000 17:16 EST

Visit IFAS Sponsored Programs Homepage
 http://grants.ifas.ufl.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org]On Behalf
Of xxxxxx@EXCHANGE.UAMS.EDU
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 3:58 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Definition of Research

Has anyone out there tried to define research ? This is a hard one. When you
start looking for a good definition from the faculty, it ends up sounding
like the workings of a very bad joke.

"A Molecular Biologist, a Social Scientist and a Physician walked into a
Research Administration Office . . ."

I'll spare you the details.

But the definition is important. The proper definition can affect everything
from mission statements to F&A calculations. Have any of you defined
research to help you therefore define your organization's mission ? (If not
that, what HAVE you administrators done with the definition of research?)

By the way, I ALREADY HAVE THE NIH and OPRR DEFINITION, but you know it
doesn't always fit.

THANKS !

Tim

Timothy N. Atkinson
Director, Research Support Center
Arkansas Children's Hospital Research Institute
Little Rock, AR 72202
V: 501-320-3581
F: 501-320-7205