Re: venue, jurisdiction, and laws of another state Herbert B. Chermside 31 Mar 2000 15:08 EST

Stick to your guns!

In Virginia we have similar constraints.

The sovereignty of the state is implied in its constitution, rather than
being legislated.  The AG has numerous recorded Opinions (gathered and
published annually), memos of instruction, etc., about the implication of
this.

For example, we may not accept the laws of any other venue.  We routinely
implement this by requiring the laws of Virginia, unless we are making an
agreement with another state's agency, in which case we ostentatiously
remain silent.  (As I read it, arguments between states are settled in
federal courts, anyway!!!)

We will not indemnify anyone for any reason.  We will accept responsibility
for our own acts and omissions to the extent of Va law -- which has
significant limitations of our liability.

We are self-insured for most matters, and cannot name a third party as as a
co-insured.  This is based on state law, so "laws of VA" brings it into an
agreement, though we normally clearly inform the other party.

Etc, etc, etc.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO ACCEDED TO ANY CLAUSE, WHATSOEVER.  A contract is an
agreement, freely entered into ....  IF THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO SIMPLE,
RATIONAL REASONS, YOU PROBABLY SHOULD NOT BE DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!!
And, if your PI does not understand that state law/procedure takes
precedence over her desires for funding, you need to do a little educating.

By the way, don't forget that most impasses like this result from either
some low level person blindly following rules or some legal advisor trying
to justify her existence.  Can you raise it to the level of a person who
has the management responsibility to make a decision?   "...has no meaning
in the real world...." suggests that you are dealing with someone who does
not understand that the law, or the opinion of the AG, IS REAL.

Yes, think those words.  All of us out here are thinking them for you.  Let
me quote from an e-mail I sent to a departmental administrator who is being
an intermediary in a similar discussion: " They may call our General
Counsel if they wish to discuss the matter.  He has made a concession to be
willing to take the time to tell them "no" if they will not believe you and
me."

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University