Re: LINUX and the Public Domain Caskey, William PhD. 30 Mar 2000 17:49 EST

The Linux kernel (basic operating system with a command line interface) was
developed under the GNU Public License (GPL) from the Free Software
Foundation. See http://www.gnu.org/ for more information. About a third of
the way down the page under the heading GNU's Flashes, you'll see a link
entitled GNU Free Documentation License (if you hover your mouse and your
status line is turned on you'll see "copyleft" in the URL. This is the full
license. All software developed and released under this license is free
(although one can charge for materials and time for producing distributabel
copies on CD-ROMS, etc and for support or value-added) and must be
distrubted with the source code. A good example is Red Hat Linux for which
you pay for their CDs and support plus their value-added installation
process but you can also download the software, including source code off
their site. Modifying the code and distributing it falls under the same
license but gets much too complex to detail here. The license is good
reading. Not all Linux projects are freely distributable, e.g. Applixware
office suite. I think it would be safe to say that anything developed using
the basic Linux operating system and the gcc compilers would fall under the
GPL. Obviously, there are ways to develop proprietary products but that runs
counter to the Linux and GNU/GPL philosophy. The Debian GNU/Linux
(http://www.debian.org/) is considered the purest Open Source Linux
available.

You'll find a signficant number of users in the academic community,
especially in mathematics, computer sciences, and the hard sciences. Perhaps
I should say this here, but I am in the final throes of finishing a paper
which I'll submit to the SRA Journal discussing providing research
administration support to Linux users...Bill

Bill Caskey, PhD
Director, Research & Grants Administration
Children's Mercy Hospital
2401 Gillham Road
Kansas City, MO  64108

Voice:(816) 234-3879
FAX:(816) 855-1982
E-mail:  xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>

This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It
may contain information which is privileged or confidential under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient or the agent of
the recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or
disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately notify The
Children's Mercy Hospital at 816-234-3879 or via return Internet
electronic mail at xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>  and expunge
this communication without making any copies.  Thank you for your
cooperation.