Re: IRB -- consent forms Eric C Lewandowski 22 Mar 2000 15:04 EST

 Mary--

 We require external funding to be reported on our protocol form, but
 not on any consent form.  At the moment, I can't envision why potential
 subjects would need to know -- as a function of their involvement --
 on a research project that (A) the project is externally sponsored, or
 (B) the source of the sponsorship.  I suppose that federal sponsorship
 confers something of an "added protection" to subjects by virtue of the
 direct potential for agency/program audit.  Still, it seems to me that
 the most salient protection afforded subjects is the professionalism of
 the investigators and the conscientious oversight of the institution as
 represented by the HS review process.  At any rate, I couldn't find
 anything in 45 CFR 46.116 or .117 that specifically addresses your
 question.  You may want to talk with someone (Jeff Cohen?) at OPRR.

 --Eric

 Eric C. Lewandowski, CRA
 Director, Grants & Sponsored Programs (and IRB administrative co-chair)
 Youngstown State University
 One University Plaza
 Youngstown, Ohio   44555-2377