Re: biomedical postdocs Herbert B. Chermside 09 Mar 2000 15:31 EST

"Post Doc" has caused major confusions both at my institution and at
others.  Part of it is that many PI's say "postdoctoral fellow" -- and NO
postdoctoral fellow may be charged to a research grant.

"Post-doctoral researcher" can be differentiated from "postdoctoral fellow"
in terms of whether there is, technically, an employment relationship or a
trainee relationship.

But your question is still germain!  In my experience, there often are
"postdoctoral researchers" on research grants from sponsors other than NIH.
 And there are a few postdoctoral fellowships that are from other sponsors.
 But I've no quantification to add.

Chuck

At 02:56 PM 3/9/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi-
>
>Does anyone know of any nationwide stats on how postdocs in biomedical
research are funded?

>Aren't the vast majority paid off NIH R01s?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Charlie Hathaway
>

>**************************************
>Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
>Office of Grant Support
>Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>1300 Morris Park Avenue
>Bronx, NY 10461-1975
>Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
>email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
>http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University