Re: Core Facilities Stephen Erickson 25 Feb 2000 09:58 EST

Tony, these are exactly the points we are working on now with regard to users from
outside the university.

We feel strongly that the internal research and instructional use of the facilities
has absolute priority. External users, frankly, will come last in terms of
scheduling. Since our facilities a located within two specific departments, we are
leaving it to the Depoartment Chairs to schedule facility use.

The rate structure is difficult. We are in the process of assessing anticipated
costs and, in effect, coming up with perhaps a loaded hourly rate. Unfortunately, we
are very likely not to know exactly what an accurate rate should be until we gather
some experience with external users to see, for instance, what kind of staff support
they need etc.

Your suggestion on the NSF/NIH programs is a good one and I will follow up on that.

Steve

Stephen Erickson, Director
Office of Research Administration
Boston College