Re: Core Facilities CREA CATHARINE 25 Feb 2000 09:30 EST

Jane,

We are beginning to wrestle with this issue too.  Actually, I think we
should be addressing it, but I am in the minority so far.  Will you please
share responses.

Catharine Crea
Director, Research Administration
New York Medical College
Valhalla, New York 10595
phone (914) 594-4480
fax (914)594-4694
email xxxxxx@nymc.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Youngers, Jane [mailto:xxxxxx@UTHSCSA.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 4:29 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Core Facilities

Here's a new topic (I think) for the list.  We are looking at how we might
better manage our existing core research facilities and develop guidelines
for establishing new ones.  By core research facility, I mean a facility
that provides support to many researchers on your campus.  The classic core
research facility is the animal facility.  But I am not really interested in
how you finance and manage that.  What I am interested in is how you
identify, finance, and manage your other core facilities such as protein
structure cores or DNA sequencing cores or microscopy cores.  Do you have
definitions of what consistututes a core facility; how are they typically
managed. how are they typically financed.  Any other guidelines or
policies/procedures you might have.  Just a website address would even help.

Thanks.

Jane
Jane A. Youngers
Director, Grants Management
Mail Code 7828
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio TX  78229-3900
phone 210.567.2333
fax 210.567.2344