ED Cost Sharing Indirect Costs Rhodes, Kris E 23 Feb 2000 16:26 EST

As I read the CFR, The US Department of Education typically only limits
indirect cost costsharing on training grants (examples summer institutes,
training programs for selected participants, the introduction of new or
expanded courses) or projects that implement previously developed materials
and methods and require no significant adaptation of techniques or
instructional services to fit different circumstances.  Projects that
involve research, development and dissemination of new educational materials
and methods are not considered training grants.

The specific clause that limits the use of indirect costs to satisfy
matching or costsharing requirements applies to training grants and is set
forth in 34 CFR 75.562.c3

-----Original Message-----
From: Youngers, Jane [mailto:xxxxxx@UTHSCSA.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 2:22 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: Cost Sharing Indirect Costs

As a reply to the whole group:  A-110 allows agencies to decide whether or
not indirect cost waivers or differences between the allowed rate and the
negotiated rate can be used as a match.    For example, the Department of
Energy allows the difference to be used as cost sharing as does NSF.
Department of Education specifically prohibited the use of the difference
between negotiated rates and 8% as cost sharing or matching.  You need to
consult the specific agency guidelines or implementations of A-110 (in ED's
case you would find it at 34 CFR 74, 77.

Cheers,
Jane
Jane A. Youngers
Director, Grants Management
Mail Code 7828
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio TX  78229-3900
phone 210.567.2333
fax 210.567.2344