Re: Negative Publicity Clause Restrictions Stephen Erickson 18 Feb 2000 20:48 EST

Herb, we could all debate for hours (perhaps days) over the fine points
of a contract clause! Our standard language is pretty similar to yours
although we are a little tighter on the number of days we offer for
publication review. It seems to me, however, that, as long as a clause
fits within an institution's policies,  there is probably no absolute
right or wrong on the fine points. Given the description of events in
the original email and the wording of the contract clause the sponsor
has in its agreement, I doubt seriously that the sponsor has any
interest whatsoever in "beneficial application by the general public" or
any other interests besides its own self-promotion. There are greater
issues in the contract clause than publication, for the sponsor states
that Brandeis cannot make any use of the information/data generated in
the study. This is pure and simple another way of saying it's a
work-for-hire which ought to be unacceptable to any educational
insititution. Not only can they not publish, but they cannot use their
own data in future research, in classroom teaching --  and god forbid if
a grauate student is involved, because that student would be prohibited
from using the data in his or her dissertation/thesis. If the sponsor is
a commercial concern, accepting a work-for-hire essentially is a
violation of an institution's non-profit status since it is potentially
doing work exclusively for a profit-making concern.  If I received that
clause I would ask the sponsor if it really wants a university to do the
work. If all the company wants is a contractor to do a project and say
nice things about it, there are any number of sleazy consultants out
their who would be glad to take their money.

Steve

"Herbert B. Chermside" wrote:

> VCU will not accept a clause like the first one which gives the sponsor the
> right to control the content of information we publish.  Of course we give
> them the right to review for inadvertent release of their proprietary
> information (don't let your results be defined as part of their proprietary
> information, which is a common dodge) and for potential intellectual
> property (we routinely give them a first option to negotiate for a license
> on IP developed).  Also, in some cases there may be a reason to delay
> publication (e.g., data collected as background for public policy
> decisions), but we always have a time certain for publication (e.g., "90
> days after X decision is made public, or, if said decision is not made
> public, 1 year after submission of report...).
>
> My usual publications clause is:
>
> "PUBLICATION. VCU represents that its purpose in obtaining the results of
> the research under this Agreement is to make the results available for use
> and beneficial application by the general public, and to further scientific
> and technological knowledge in the area of research covered hereunder.
> SPONSOR recognizes that during the course of this work, VCU, or its
> employees, may, from time to time, desire to publish information regarding
> scientific or technical developments made or conceived in the course of or
> under this agreement.  In order that public disclosure of such information
> will not adversely affect the patent interests of VCU or SPONSOR, or
> inadvertently reveal SPONSOR's confidential information, VCU shall submit a
> copy of the proposed publication to SPONSOR for review 30 days prior to
> release for publication.  Should SPONSOR so request in writing, VCU will
> withhold the publication for a further period of up to 60 days for the
> purpose of obtaining patent protection.  Further delays in publication
> shall be by mutual agreement as evidenced by a modification of this
> agreement.  Should SPONSOR so request in writing within 30 days, VCU will
> remove from the proposed publication that material which the SPONSOR
> identifies as confidential as defined in paragraph 8. VCU will acknowledge
> SPONSOR's support of this research in publications of results of the
> research."
>
> You should have a standard non-use of names clause to prevent a commercial
> concern from claiming or even implying endorsement by your institution.  I
> am almost always willing to make that flow two ways.  My typical language is:
>
> "USE OF THE PARTIES NAMES.  The SPONSOR and VCU agree not to use the name
> of the other party or any member of its staff in sales promotion, or
> advertising, or in any other forms of publicity without the written
> approval of an authorized representative of the said other party, except as
> required by law".
>
> Suggest you flat refuse the first clause, substituting a good publications
> clause, and do not let the non-use-of-names clause get cluttered with
> [...]

Stephen Erickson
Director, Office of Research Administration
Boston College
McGuinn Hall 600
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Telephone:  617-552-3344