Re: FIPSE Holmes, Jeanette A. 16 Feb 2000 12:21 EST

Our Institution submitted 4 FIPSEs,  we used 8% F&A rate and showed the
difference between our negotiated rate and the 8% as cost share.

Jeanette Holmes
Program Manager for Technology Transfer
Office of Research & Sponsored Projects
The University of Texas at El Paso
Ph: (915) 747-7901
Fax (915) 747-6474

-----Original Message-----
From: Chaffins, Gary [mailto:xxxxxx@ORSA.UOREGON.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 11:13 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: FIPSE

Colleagues,

I have noted a significant amount of traffic regarding the issue of the F&A
rate used for the recent FIPSE preliminary applications.  The method that
FIPSE uses is internally divisive to our institutions, creating conflict
between faculty and administration.  I won't go into a discussion about the
FIPSE position, where I have strong feelings about the practice, but I would
like to conduct an informal survey and make it available to the list.

Our institution is publicly assisted and we adhere to full recovery wherever
possible as the failure to recover full costs drains our ability to support
other activities.

Reimbursement of appropriate facilities and administrative costs is a
critical part of our reimbursement stream.  Our institution returns part of
the administrative portion to our units for support of the administrative
and clerical costs associated with grant activities.  Failure to recovery
our full administrative costs reduces (or eliminates any return in the case
of 8%) the funds they have to pay the staff salaries providing direct
support to their grant activities.

We submitted several FIPSE applications with our Public Service rate which
is 33% of mtdc (so now you know who will be at that rate).

I will not identify the institutions responding but would like to know:

1. Number of FIPSE applications submitted by your institution for the 2/11
deadline
2. The F&A rate requested for reimbursement.

I will post the results on the list.

Gary Chaffins
Director, Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5219
Office: (541) 346-2395
Fax: (541) 346-5138