Re: FastLane concerns Robert Meyer 09 Feb 2000 11:45 EST

Here is the notice from NSF.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miller, Carolyn [mailto:xxxxxx@nsf.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 10:02 AM
Subject: FastLane Conversion from use of PINs to Passwords

As mentioned in the Grant Proposal Guide (NSF 00-2, Chapter 1, section C,
page 2), NSF is currently in the process of changing our FastLane PI and
Organizational Management functions to make use of passwords rather than
PINs (this change does NOT affect the Business Office functions).  We plan
to begin the conversion to passwords within the next two months.  We are
making these changes for two reasons:

*       to be consistent with the password conventions that will be used by
the Federal Commons project
and
*       to be able to use FastLane passwords as a part of electronic
signatures (e.g. proposal certifications page, signatures on revised
budgets) so paper copies of these will no longer be required

The basic changes you will see with the new password system are:

1)  length will be between 6 and 20 characters
2)  must contain at least one alphabetic and one numeric character
3)  regular expiration of passwords (currently planned for 180 days but may
change)
4)  passwords cannot be reused for three change cycles
5)  individuals will have the ability to change their own passwords
6)  if a research administrator changes an individual's password, the
individual is required to change the password to something else as a part of
the next log-on sequence.

I have heard from some that there is concern on your part about the loss of
control with this new system (since the individual can/must change his/her
own password).  I understand this concern, and I am sure you will agree that
the implementation of electronic signatures will be worth this small
inconvenience.  We have worked closely with our lawyers and auditors to be
sure that these changes will meet their requirements for the use of
electronic signatures in FastLane.  In the long-term, we will all benefit
from these changes.

Once we have finished making our changes and tested them, we will be ready
to implement the new password system.  We plan to convert the PINs over a
thirty day period, based on users' last names.  When we have an
implementation schedule, I will contact you with more information about the
exact implementation schedule and other details.

--Carolyn

Bob

Robert C. Meyer
Eberly College of Science