Re: query, adjunct researchers Freed, Linda 09 Feb 2000 11:31 EST

Bill - We have a "Research Associate" appointment procedure that we use in
such cases.  The policy is at http://www.apsu.edu/general/policy/5014.htm -
and is fairly straightforward.  Any special terms and conditions, such as
work on grants or eligibility to seek grants and/or serve as PI on a grant,
as well as all consequent responsibilities, are spelled out in the letter of
appointment generated by our VPAA.  These are generated on a case-by-case
basis, and I am brought into the deliberations whenever grant issues are
included in the appointment.   Normally, we would allow a Research Associate
no more than co-PI status, and have a regular employee (faculty or
otherwise) serve as PI.  Once there is compensation for the researcher
involved, the person would become a University employee or contractor and we
would have normal recourse under our employment contract or personal
services contract for any problems that might arise. Although this is only
slightly less ad-hoc that what you refer to, it has met our needs fairly
well so far.

Linda S. Freed
Office of Grants and Sponsored Programs
Austin Peay State University