Re: FastLane concerns Pam Fillmore 09 Feb 2000 10:43 EST

I agree with you.  I see the use of passwords, as proposed, as nothing but a nightmare for SRO's.  I will watch this discussion closely.

Pam Fillmore
Research and Grants Center
Emporia State University
phone 316-341-5351
fax 316-341-5909

>>> Jane Prudhomme <xxxxxx@UNO.EDU> 02/09/00 09:25AM >>>
Good comments, Nancy.  Thanks for putting this into a format we can all relate
to. I totally agree these questions need to be answered before implementation.
And I also very much agree with your last statement, that this present move
appears to be a dramatic departure from the very responsible way NSF has
handled Fastlane implementation in  the past.  This really surprises me.
 -Jane

Nancy Peterson wrote:

> The recent announcement from FastLane has obviously raised concerns in the
> SRO community.  Much of the concern may be due to the fact that the
> announcement left so many questions unanswered.
>
> 1.  How will the user registration process work?  Will that still be done
> through the SRO Office?
>
> 2.  If passwords change every 180 days, and a faculty member only writes
> one grant a year (I'm at a primarily teaching institution, not a research
> institution.), the odds are the faculty member will neglect to change the
> password and/or forget it.   If they don't change it, will they be kicked
> out of the database?  Does that mean they will have to re-register as
> users?
>
> 3.  If the PI forgets to give the SRO access to the proposal (a common
> mistake), will there be any way the SRO can gain "emergency" access for
> submission purposes?
>
> 4.  I currently maintain a list of all PINs, because faculty often ask me
> for their PIN number (and some co-PIs, who seldom work on the proposals
> on-line, but must still be registered in the database, have no idea they
> even have a PIN).  Could the SRO Office receive notification of password
> changes and passwords?
>
> 5.  How are you going to secure electronic signatures for institutional
> approvals?  I have 6 individuals on campus who are legally authorized to
> sign-off on grant applications.  Will each one have to be registered some
> how?  Will they have to keep track of changing passwords?  (Having
> Presidents and Vice Presidents changing and keeping track of passwords
> is...well...I can't imagine it.)
>
> I have really appreciated the "user-friendly" character of the FastLane
> system.    But, the changes proposed as described do appear to be unduly
> cumbersome and problematic.  Perhaps responses to the questions above may
> help us better understand how the new system will work.

> Nancy Kay Peterson
> Director of Grants & Sponsored Projects
> Somsen Hall Room 202-C
> Winona State University