Re: something between a gift and a sponsored project Herbert B. Chermside 01 Feb 2000 12:18 EST

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'm replying anyway, because the
question keeps coming up.

At VCU we know there is a "grey area" between gifts and sponsored programs,
but the two items are handled by different offices, so we assign each item
to one or the other.  There is little "us vs them" from that arrangement.
However, some seekers of support think there is some benefit to them that
makes a gift preferable to a sponsored program -- usually this comes down
to questions of indirect costs or some other question of the seeker having
full discretionary control of each dollar that comes in.

If the transmittal says "gift", the choice is obvious -- unless, of course,
the "giver" then attaches so many restrictions that it isn't a gift!  (In
that case there may be some internal discussion before it is assigned.)

Legally, a gift is unilateral unless the intended recipient refuses it,
whereas an agreement ("contract" at law) has an exchange of "consideration"
(something of value, including the promise to do something).  As we look at
it, it becomes a sponsored program when the sponsor gets something for it
as part of the agreement.  This contractual commitment is usually the crux
of the decision how to treat it.

The following is from our Sponsored programs guidelines -- it helps narrow
the "grey area":

A sponsored program is an award from an external source (the "sponsor") for
an agreed purpose with sufficient custodial
responsibility to warrant unique administrative accountability. It is
established by an agreement, usually called a grant or a
contract, between VCU and the sponsor. It generally requires that VCU do
some or all of the following:

 1.provide a fiscal report subject to audit, which implies formal
liability for VCU
 2.return funds/goods not consumed
 3.perform a defined scope of work
 4.maintain confidentiality of information
 5.submit a detailed report of performance
 6.provide something of value to the sponsor; and
 7.comply with terms/conditions set by the sponsor.

This differs from a gift which has the characteristics that it is
irrevocable, and that VCU has full discretionary control over its
use, though the purpose for which it is used may be specified broadly by
the donor.

In administering that guideline, we clearly recognize that some sponsors DO
support research activities for no direct benefit to themselves -- though
there may be indirect benefit, such as a "window" on the University, or
increase of the skilled manpower pool in the professional/specialty.  If
the sponsor can use the word "gift" (second best, "grant"), even when
restricting it somewhat (e.g., to support Professor X's cancer research
program", we want it treated as a gift.  That's much cheaper in terms of
administration.  If it is a gift, clearly there is no indirect cost
attached/claimed.  Please be aware that for-profit sponsors may avoid the
term "gift" but can properly expense (maybe to Public Relations) something
for which they get only indirect benefit, so our treating it as a gift does
not give their auditors heartburn.

We also recognize that there are kinds of support for which the sponsor
gets something of value, but not much, and the award is more "gifty" in
flavor.  These would be sponsored programs, but can often fall under our
policy for reducing or waiving indirect costs.  Reductions in indirect are
easy for us to justify when there is major benefit to students -- remember,
students are our prime constituency, and anything we do to benefit them,
individually or as a group, is in support of our primary mission.

On the other hand, we are an agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  As
such, our public resources should not be used for the preferential
betterment of any individual for-profit organization.  Indirect costs are
real, and reducing them is a subsidy of the project.  Therefore, if the
sponsor gets significant value as a result of the award,  it is a sponsored
program and we do not reduce indirect.

Sorry to be long winded -- it is not a simple situation, and some
institutions would respond differently due to differing underlying
institutional considerations.  But this works for us.

By the way, some programs can easily be funded by both gift and sponsored
program funds.  I just helped work out one with about a dozen revenue
inputs, of which two to four will be sponsored programs because the sponsor
cannot get $ to us except on receipt of some value back, while the others
can say, "gift in support of...."
But the program will have several accounts, because at least the sponsored
programs may not be co-mingled, because each refers to a different
agreement ("contract").

Conflict of Interest could come in if there were certain relationships
between individuals who are employees and sponsors/givers (state COI law).
Otherwise, I see little chance.

Intellectual property developed with gift funds belongs to the University.
Intellectual property developed with sponsored programs belongs to the
University unless we contracted away rights which have value!) in the
sponsored program agreement.

The NSF expenditure report depends on expenditure information, not the
source of the funds.  If you hold gifts in a foundation and spend them for
the benefit of the institution rather than flowing them through the
institution's books, you's have to get more expert advice than I can give,
as to how they should be counted.

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University