Re: Subcontractor on NIH Modular App Question Herbert B. Chermside 31 Jan 2000 12:32 EST
NIH will require at least an "Agree to collaborate" letter signed for your
institution and forwarded to the lead institution, along with your budget
(for a modular it should be rounded to the nearest even $1000 including
direct and indirect).

I generally provide a collaboration letter to the prime institution's
administration that is specific as to some of the terms we will insost on
(they are the ones I give any competent subawardee) and precisely includes
certification re debarment, lobbying and debt, and is precise about the
subaward proposal it refers to.  In addition, I prepare an NIH Face Sheet
specific to the subaward, and write in the upper left margin, "Subaward
Proposal to XXX as part of proposal to:" and sign it and include a filled
out "checklist" page.  That seems to get each and every certification that
someone might demand as part of the proposal review process (rather than
doing it piecemeal later!).

My letter is attached; if someone has a simpler way of dotting all those
"i's" and crossing all those "t's", share it, please!!

Chuck

At 07:10 PM 1/26/00 -0500, you wrote:
>We're participating in our first NIH "modular" application as a
>subcontractor.  Instructions seem a little sketchy, so perhaps someone
>with more experience can tell me:
>
>Does NIH need an institutional signature from the subcontractor in the
>proposal?  If so, in what form--signed cover sheet for the
>subcontractor, signed letter agreeing to participate, something else?
>(I will be providing a some kind of signature to the prime, but we can't
>tell if NIH also needs to see it at this point.)
>
>Thanks!
>Barbara
>

>--
>
>Barbara H. Gray, Director