Re: FastLane question Rabanal, Florence I 28 Jan 2000 13:40 EST

Hi Nancy (and others),
Just so you know how the process is handled on our end.....NSF now has an
internal system so that our staff can check (at their desk), the arrival of
the coversheet as well as information such as where it was assigned.  As
Nancy has correctly pointed out, there is sometimes a delay between the time
that the coversheet gets processed and the when the program receives it.
This delay should be minimal now, given the new system that was recently
implemented.

Since NSF doesn't consider the proposal "officially" submitted until the
signed coversheet is in hand, the program staff are likely anxious to get
their hands on it.  Most NSF proposals (unsolicited) still require that the
cs be sent in separately to the the DIS address (see the GPG page 3).

Here's how you might proceed the next time you get a phone call:

1)  If you have sent it in, ask the caller to check the internal system (FL
tracking system) to see if the coversheet has been logged-in.  They may seem
surprised and unaware of the system.

2)  If they seem surprised or unaware, feel free to send me an email
(xxxxxx@nsf.gov) and I'll get in touch with them.  It's part of my job to
insure that such information is getting properly distributed.  The only way
that we know that our staff don't know, is to hear from the external
community and from persons such as yourself.

Hope this helps others on the list too.

Cheers,
Florence