Re: mileage rates Herbert B. Chermside 06 Jan 2000 17:56 EST

In the agreement review process (wherever you place it in your
organization), this deviation from your routine must be noted and made
available to those responsible for generating the expenditure and those
auditing them prior to requesting payment/reimbursement.

VCU is not as good at this as we'd like, due to severely constrained
personnel levels.  However, Sponsored Programs reviews each agreement
before accepting it, and we try to pick up such "management by exception"
points and note them on the award notice we send G&C Accounting, the PI,
and the PI's department.

Chuck

At 11:49 AM 1/6/00 -0600, you wrote:
>   A question for  the RESADM-L readers:   If the regulations for your
>grant project specific a  limit for mileage reimbursement rates which is
>below your organization's rate,  how do you handle this?   Our organization
>pegs its mileage reimbursement rate to  the standard rate published by the
>IRS, and this recently increased from 31  cents to 32.5 cents per mile. One
>of our grant projects, however, is funded by  the Illinois Dept. of
>Transportation, which limits mileage reimbursement to 31  cents. We are now
>looking at the prospect of some project staff receiving a 31  cents per
>mile reimbursement while others, who are funded under a different  grant
>award, may receive 32.5 cents per mile. -----------------
>                       tel. 217-258-2195
>                  fax 217-258-4135
>                     email: xxxxxx@sblhs.org
>  www.sarahbush.org
>1000  Health Center Drive
>   61938-0372     Attachment Converted: "C:\Eudora\Attach\Ivy.gif"
Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568