Re: Travel reimbursement on federal grants Graybill, Patience (27 Apr 2020 12:54 EST)
Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [RESADM-L] Travel reimbursement on federal grants Carolyn Elliott-Farino (27 Apr 2020 13:05 EST)

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [RESADM-L] Travel reimbursement on federal grants Carolyn Elliott-Farino 27 Apr 2020 13:05 EST

Thanks, Patrice. A thornier question is for student travel where the ticket is issued in the name of the student and the airline won't transfer it to the university. It hardly seems fair to make the student pay for the e-credit as they likely don't have much in the way of discretionary funds. Is it scout's honor and if they use the e-credit for personal use they have to reimburse the university, but if they don't use it, they don't have to reimburse?

Carolyn
Carolyn Elliott-Farino
Director of Sponsored Programs
Kennesaw State University
xxxxxx@kennesaw.edu; 770-846-0436

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG> On Behalf Of Graybill, Patience
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 1:54 PM
To: xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [RESADM-L] Travel reimbursement on federal grants

Hello, Everyone,
I wanted to summarize our procedure and the responses I received from fellow institutions on the issue of charging airline e-credits to grants in COVID-19-related cases.

Our School's procedure:
Flight charges may remain on the original account until the travel occurs. If charged to a university account, departments will track the e-credits. Preference is for the faculty members to use the e-credit for the same project before the airline deadline. If the traveler is unable to use the e-credit for the original project, the individual may potentially use the e-credit for other university travel. In cases when e-credits are used for a different project, the institution does internal cost transfer paperwork to the correct account. Documentation about the traveler's inability to use the e-credit on the original project, and documented communication with program officers and/or vendors must be kept with cost transfer documentation. If a PI has already charged the airline ticket to their own credit card, the university will reimburse via a discretionary fund tagged for COVID-19-related costs.

Summary of approaches provided by other institutions.
Method #1: Move the expense to a discretionary account tagged as COVID-19-related costs for now and then move onto sponsored fund when the trip reimbursement documents are processed.
-- Some are keeping spreadsheets of processed trip requests. The spreadsheet could track the original grant fund, the holding fund, and any other relevant codes or processing information. Once the airline credit is used, a journal entry can be processed to move the original airfare to the grant.
-- Reasons stated for choosing this path: centralized way of ensuring that the correct grant is charged; means of tracking COVID-19 costs and use of e-credits centrally; having a way to handle these credits when one doesn't know when the credits can be used.

Method #2: Charging directly to sponsored fund, then moving later if it doesn't apply.
--The travelers are encouraged to use the e-credit for the same project within the airline deadline to use e-credits.
-- If the traveler is unable to charge the original grant project, internal cost transfer paperwork is done to transfer to the correct account.
-- Reason(s) stated for using this method: reduction of journal paperwork upfront with emphasis on documenting communication.

Notes on other aspects of processing:
--One institution said that for costs that were non-refundable and non-cancelable, PIs are allowed to still charge the grant but the PI has to provide documentation from the vendor that they would not refund or cancel the expense.
--If the e-credit is used for personal use, the individual would have to reimburse the university if the university paid for the original ticket.

Thanks to everyone who responded and shared!

Patience

Patience Graybill, M.A., CRA
Manager, Research Development & Administration Project Manager, Center for Engineering MechanoBiology (CEMB) McKelvey School of Engineering Washington University in St. Louis ph. 314-935-8618 | f: 314.935.6949 xxxxxx@wustl.edu One Brookings Drive |  Campus Box 1138 |  St. Louis, MO 63130-4899

Washington University's COVID-19 sites:
Home: https://emergency.wustl.edu/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/
Research-related information: https://research.wustl.edu/covid19/