Re: Job of a research administrator Morgan, Jennifer 15 Apr 1999 15:50 EST

This is from the December 1998 ORI Newsletter Volume 7 No.1
found at:
http://ori.dhhs.gov/vol7no11298.htm#WISCONSIN

It appears that a more detailed report might be found in the Chronical of
Higher Education.

WISCONSIN PROFESSOR FACING $100,000 FINE

Prosecutors will recommend that the maximum $100,000 fine be imposed on Leon
Shohet, an engineering professor at the University of Wisconsin at Madison,
who pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of using false information to
obtain research grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF), according
to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Professor Shohet reportedly inflated the number of corporate partners in the
Engineering Research Center for Plasma-Aided Manufacturing to increase the
chances of receiving grant money. A university official said the respondent
did not intend to deceive NSF.

The U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Wisconsin said the case "sends
an unambiguous message to academia and beyond [that] regardless of one's
position, lying to obtain money for any purpose will not be tolerated."

Jennifer Morgan, M.H.A.
Director, Office of Grants and Contracts
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Systems
3811 O'Hara Street, Pittsburgh PA  15213