Re: Faculty incentives? Bradley, Jenny 20 Jan 1999 13:57 EST

Mary T. Spina, CRA wrote:

> Hello everyone --
>
> I am trying to find out what other institutions are doing about incentives
> for faculty to write/conduct research.  If you could answer the following
> questions, it would be very helpful to our future direction here.
>
> 1)  At IIT, for those faculty on a nine-month academic appointment, they can
> elect to take one month summer salary support from external grant funding.
> Additional compensation for the summer requires one day of the academic year
> charge-off for each day of the summer salary in excess of the first summer
> month up to three summer months of salary (for example, if the faculty
> member has one month of academic year salary covered, they can request two
> summer months).  Does your institution require anything similar?  Or is
> there no restriction (unless the sponsor imposes it) on the number of summer
> months salary requested?

We do not require anything similar.  There is no restriction as long as it is
outside their normal contract year.

> 2)  Is any portion of your indirect cost recovery returned to the PI and/or
> the department?  If so, what percentage?

PI gets 20% and department gets 10%

> 3)  Does your institution have any other incentives for faculty?

Internal grants which are often used as seed money before applying for external
funding.

Jenny Bradley
Roanoke College