Re: NIH Modular Grants revisited -Reply Charlie Hathaway 16 Dec 1998 14:19 EST

Dr. Geller-

I remember many people believing that modular grants were the same as
Just-in-time rules, i.e. that a budget would be required at some time.
Didn't some institutes do this? The talk (i.e. rumors) coming from meetings
etc about budgets probably never being requested and rebudgeting rules
being jettisoned caused many eyebrows to rise...yet these are now part of
the modular plan.

Some obstacles to institutions reaping some benefits of the new system are
1) the need to determine an indirect cost base and 2) cost-accounting
regulations.

I agree with you that we should be looking for ways to make sure that the
"Re-invention" of federal policies is not simply a shift of burden elsewhere.

Charlie Hathaway