Re: Students Herbert B. Chermside 21 Jul 1998 09:56 EST

At VCU we encourage students to seek funding for interesting projects.  The
pool of supoport is small, but there are some programs out there.

For programs aimed at funding student projects, we allow the student to be
the applicant (for a fellowship/traineeship) or the PI/PD (project award)
for proposal purposes, unless the sponsor insists that a mentor be the
PI/PD.  However, we require that an employee be the PI for internal
purposes -- under the tenuous theory that we have some modicum of control
over an employee [Ha!], or that an employee will be more responsible [Ha,
Ha!!] -- because such purposes include aproval of charges, etc.

Chuck

At 10:38 AM 7/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a few questions for anyone out there that might have
>had some experience with helping students apply for grants.
>I have had a couple of undergraduate and graduate students
>that have requested my help in searching for funding
>opportunities.  Can anyone give me some examples of what
>your office structure allows?  My most recent example
>includes a returning undergraduate (returning to pursue a
>second degree) that is seeking support to research
>"A Professional Development Program for Teachers," in
>Guadalajara. He has put together a proposal but, our
>university requires students to have a mentor/professor to
>support their research. We require the professor to become
>the PI. Questions that I have are:  What process does your
>office take in this situation?  What advice do you give to
>the student? The student, of course, does not have the
>credentials to apply to most agencies. Have you had a
>professor apply for a grant in support of the student
>carrying out his research?  Thanks for any input.
>----------------------
>Suzette S. Mauney
>Appalachian State University
>Assistant Director, Sponsored Programs