Re: Firearms -Reply -Reply Mary Ann Jurgus 06 Jul 1998 16:22 EST

Would this item be considered a disposable supply or equipment?  Who would own the firearm after the project was completed?  Don't all firearms need to be registered?  Would this need to be registered under the name of the Institution or the individual?  If someone is accidentally injured with this firearm, who would be held legally and/or financially responsible?  Would you need some type of special insurance for this portion of the protocol?

Mary Ann Jurgus
Manager - Research Administration
2160 S. First Ave. - Suite 400, Bldg. 120
Maywood, Il. 60153
p: 708-216-4288
f: 708-216-5881
e: xxxxxx@wpo.it.luc.edu

>>> Kevin Brodrick <xxxxxx@HUB.TCH.HARVARD.EDU> 7/6/98  3:32 pm >>>
Phyllis,

Wouldn't it be more prudent to hire a bodyguard/guide or the like for the PI,
rather than to let a Scientist loose with a loaded weapon?  Humor aside, I
think that you should also focus on the danger of an untrained person using a
firearm.  I would also imagine that it would be easier to justify contracting a
bodyguard/guide/sherpa/whatever than to purchase a weapon which may or may not
be needed and then only once?

----------
From: Phyllis Shaw <xxxxxx@COMP.UARK.EDU>
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: Firearms -Reply
Date: Monday, July 06, 1998 3:56 PM

A stun-gun or tranquilizer-dart-gun seemed like an appropriate assumption
for <<me >>to make, so I asked if that was the type of gun the P.I. was
asking about.  I was given the <<impression>> that the P.I. was NOT
thinking about a non-lethal type of firearm, though I was not given any
definite response either way.

In answer to another question on this:  No.  The P.I. did not include in
the proposal any indication that he/she would be going into areas that
would require "protection".

At 02:43 PM 7/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Are you talking about a stun-gun?

Phyllis T. Shaw