Re: United Soybean Board Herbert B. Chermside 20 Mar 1998 09:42 EST

I have found state, county and city governments flexible about ownership
boilerplate.  We have two offors, one of which we seem always to get accepted.

a)  We own it, but give them a paid up license in perpetuity to use it for
their (governmental, non-profit, etc.) purposes.

b)  We transfer title, but retain a paid up license in perpetuity to use
for our non-profit research and educational purposes.

Sometimes we agree to a period of secrecy (usually "non-disclosure") so
long as there is a time certain when we can use/publish the information.
This is especially true when we are doing research which will be the basis
of a policy/legislative decision.

Chuck

At 08:05 PM 3/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I understand the sentiment to reject the proposed United Soybean contract
>provisions.  I would like to pose a different - but related -- question:
> Would any college or university accept these same provisions if they were
>presented to you by a local government agency?  E.g., If they were
>presented to you as non-negotiable boilerplate language by a Board of
>Education?
>
>I would especially appreciate hearing from New York City area colleges and
>universities:  Putting aside the language on finance, do you accept city
>agency contracts that require you to surrender all rights to publication
>and all title to intellectual properties?
>
>--------------------------------------
>Thomas O. Murphy
>Director, Office of Grants & Research
>St. John's University, New York